Friends of Kootenay Lake Stewardship Society (FoKLSS) in partnership with Trails for Creston Valley Society (TCVS) and the East Shore Freshwater Habitat Society (ESFHS) will be facilitating a garbage cleanup initiative along the east shore of Kootenay Lake between Riondel and Wynndel throughout the month of April.
Visit Friends of Kootenay Lake’s website for more information: https://www.friendsofkootenaylake.ca/event/eastshorecleanup/
An influx of “stay-cationers” travelling through the area, paired with a lack of receptacle access has resulted in an increase in garbage pollution at popular water access sites along Kootenay Lake’s East Shore. Friends of Kootenay Lake Stewardship Society, Trails for Creston Valley Society and the East shore Freshwater Habitat Society are teaming up to facilitate a large-scale, COVID-safe shoreline cleanup between Riondel and Wynndel throughout April.
If you would like take part all you have to do is:
- Choose a favourite site you would like to clean (from this map) and check to see if the site has already been cleaned (from the list on the event page)
- Let Friends of Kootenay Lake know which sites you plan to clean/have cleaned (so they can keep the list updated)
- Get out there and clean the site! Don’t forget to check the list of items to bring below
- (Optional) submit photos of your cleanup in the Kootenay Lake Beach Cleanup Photo Contest for a chance to win prizes from local businesses! More info here: https://www.friendsofkootenaylake.ca/news/kootenay-lake-beach-cleanup-photo-contest/
Landfill fees will be covered by FoKLSS for volunteers who participate in the campaign to ensure the proper and safe disposal of removed garbage. Please contact FoKLSS at firstname.lastname@example.org for landfill voucher/reimbursement information.
What to bring:
- Weather appropriate clothing: hat, sunglasses, jacket, sweater, rain jacket, boots etc.
- Water and snacks
- Gloves (to protect your hands from broken glass or sharp objects)
- Cleaning supplies: buckets, garbage bags, rakes, shovels
- Optional: soft pad to kneel on, sifter/colander and grabber.
Photo Contest Prizes
- $20 gift certificates to local businesses (purchased by TCVS)
- Modern Alchemy
- Tigs Tea
- Morris Flowers
- Buffalo Trails
- Blackbear Books x2 (thanks Blackbear Books for donating an additional gift certificate!)
- A pair of leggings donated by Back to Nature Apparel
- $25 gift card donated by Summit Cycle
Email or call Friends of Kootenay Lake with any questions about this event
More information on the event here: https://www.friendsofkootenaylake.ca/event/eastshorecleanup/
Thanks to the funders of this program: