FERRY PROJECT MEETING TODAY AT CB SCHOOL FROM 5-8PM – OPEN HOUSE
We heard you! Based on feedback from the 2016 consultation process, the Balfour Ferry Terminal will stay in its current location, and we are taking steps to address challenges and make improvements:
- Temporary service changes – March 11 to April 21: to ensure ongoing safe and reliable operation of the Kootenay Lake Ferry during annual low spring water levels
- Round 2 Consultation — February 19 to March 30: to get your feedback on proposed improvements
For more information, please see below and visit www.gov.bc.ca/balfourterminal.
Temporary Service Changes — March 11 to April 21
The channel near the Balfour Ferry Terminal has some shallow areas which will be addressed through proposed dredging in the coming year. In the meantime, this creates a navigational safety hazard for the normal operation of the MV Osprey during low spring water levels. The following temporary service changes are required:
|March 11 – March 24||
|March 25 – April 7||
|April 8 – April 21||
*Depending on the number and weights of commercial vehicles boarding the vessel during this time, the number of vehicles loaded may need to be limited which might in some cases result in a sailing wait for heavier vehicles.
We apologize in advance for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience during this temporary service change. We suggest ferry users:
- Go to Drive BC’s updates for the Kootenay Lake Ferry to check for potential sailing waits
- Check the overhead messaging boards in Nelson and Creston
- Plan to arrive early for the ferry
- Allow time for a potential sailing wait
- Consider off-peak crossing times or an alternate route.
- Help spread the word to your friends and family about these changes
Round 2 Consultation — February 19 to March 30, 2018
We want to hear from you about improvements to the existing Balfour Ferry terminal and provide an update on the new replacement ferry, proposed dredging near the terminal and other proposed improvements. Topics for feedback will include
- Improving queueing safety
- Increasing parking capacity
- New public washrooms
- Greenspace options
There will also be an opportunity to provide additional comments and to sign up for construction information updates.
Materials, including the Discussion Guide and Feedback Form, will be available starting on February 19 at www.gov.bc.ca/balfourterminal. You can learn more and provide feedback by:
- Attending a Public Open House or Small Group Meeting (see schedule below)
- Completing the Feedback Form online: www.gov.bc.ca/balfourterminal
- Providing a written submission or sending us a completed hard copy Feedback Form:
- Email: email@example.com
Attn: Balfour Ferry Improvement Project,
Ministry of Transportation – Marine Branch
PO Box 9850 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9T5.
Public Open Houses
Drop-in, no RSVP required.
|Tuesday, February 27||5:00 PM – 8:00 PM||Crawford Bay School – 16150 Walkley Rd., Crawford Bay.|
|Wednesday, February 28||5:00 PM – 8:00 PM||Redfish Elementary School – 265 Bryan Rd., Nelson.|
Small Group Meetings
Small group meetings are scheduled for two hours. Please register in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org as space is limited.
|Tuesday, February 27||1:00 PM – 3:00 PM||Cabin Restaurant – 16898 Scott Rd., Kootenay Bay.|
|Wednesday, February 28||1:00 PM – 3:00 PM||Dock ‘n’ Duck – 7924 Hwy BC-3A, Balfour.|
Please visit our website www.gov.bc.ca/balfourterminal to learn more about the project and provide your feedback.
Balfour Ferry Improvement Project Team
How Input Will Be Used
Your feedback is important to us. Input received through this community consultation will be compiled and considered by the Ministry, along with technical, environmental and financial considerations, in the final plans for the Project.