UPDATE: Three age-friendly events planned for this weekend have been postponed due to cold and rainy weather, and because many of our aging residents are staying home to protect their health. May you all be warm and cozy at home this weekend.
Many thanks to volunteers, food vendors and Paul and Mary of Wherzpeter for being willing to put on a great event. Thanks to Boswell Memorial Hall, the Riondel Community Campground Society and Crawford Bay school for offering their venues for the events.
In the future, when we can all get together again, we would like to have an age friendliness dance and report back to the community. We’ll keep you posted when we are able to organize the next event.
Area A Age Friendly Community Council
Hello friends and neighbours,
Join us on the weekend of September 18 and 19 at one of three OUTDOOR COMMUNITY EVENTS for music, treats, and age-friendliness.
Residents of all ages and stages are invited to attend. We will have a respectful event and enjoy some social time together, but maybe not too close.
WHERE AND WHEN?
BOSWELL Memorial Hall, on the grass outside
Saturday, Sept 18 2-4 pm
Pavilion at RIONDEL Community Campground
Sunday, Sept 19 11 am-1pm
CRAWFORD BAY SCHOOL amphitheatre- behind the school
Sunday, Sept 19 3 to 5 pm
WHAT? We are wrapping up our “Moving Forward in Area A” age friendly assessment project with a long-awaited in person event. We want to hear stories from residents of all ages who participated in an aspect of the year long Age Friendly project. What did the age friendly community council and staff accomplish?
- Talked to 130 Area A residents in the 55plus phone survey,
- Facilitated seven community conversations on zoom/phone- on housing, transport, food, health and home services, communications, charitable giving and caregiver support.
- Seniors Zoom into the Grade 5/6 class at CBESS
- Family sing along with Ellie, on-line
- Circle of Support and Health Map publication
- Met with Community Hall boards about Universal Design Principles
- Review our Official Community Plan regarding accessibility and access for all
- Set up Facebook page, group and Mainstreet posts
WHY come out?
Listen to sweet folk tunes of Paul Winfield and Mary Livingstone with Wherzpeter?
- Savour treats from local vendors and bring your own coffee or tea.
- Dress for the weather Rain or Shine. Bring hats and water.
- Bring your own chair or wheelchair (call for support 250-551-6020).
HOW? Masks are optional as this is an outdoor event. Washrooms and sanitizer are available. Please look after yourself and be aware of others. Let us find safety in community. We have treats for 50 people at each event as that is a legal limit, so be there, be square.
Some people may not be able to come out to a public event. Rest assured, we are hoping to film the three events and produce a short video about “Age Friendliness in Area A” for you to enjoy from the comfort of home.
By the way, if you know of a young film-maker who needs short term work, please give them my name and number; Laverne at 250-551-6020 email@example.com.
Any questions or issues please contact:
Laverne Booth, coordinator 250-551-6020
Catherine White, Chairperson firstname.lastname@example.org
Brought to you by Age Friendly Community Council of Area A, Community Connections (SKLCSS), RDCK and the Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM). Thank you to all volunteers, sponsors and participants.